Saturday, December 04, 2004

Staged Up Like Falstaff Or The Wild Canadian Rimbaud



      As so often happens, I found myself writing about Falstaff today, and so I thought I'd post this sketch of "that old white-bearded Satan" done by a former-student and recently-absent friend. (That is, I just haven't heard from her in a while, and I hope she won't mind my posting this here.) It's a good image, I think, even though I have to agree in part with her own assessment that "Falstaff here looks a bit like the Gerber baby at age seventy." This is the smaller of two drawings of the grand old man this young woman did for me, the other-- and the first-- much too large to be scanned. Both currently hang on one of my walls. Ah, memories of days of being associated with Diana's chief forrester.... There must be more mischief, there must be more mischief....

      (The title of this post, by the way, is taken from Robin Williamson's song "For Mr. Thomas," the lyrics to which can be found here.)

No comments: